Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stress and yoga do not mix, yo.

I haven't posted my daily minutes in quite awhile, so I thought I would take this opportunity to do that, and to share this article that ran in today's paper. The article is about how more people are turning to yoga to help relieve stress. In light of the fact that this Thursday is TAX day, I'm going to recommend an extra dose of yoga for all to relieve the stress of getting those stupid papers filed away with the pesky IRS. A few poses you might try...

Extended Puppy Pose (Uttana Shishosana)
 
Part Downward-Facing Dog, part Child's Pose--great for wagging your booty in the air and stretching the torso and spine nice and long.  I like to do this before running, but it's nice afterwards too.  Either way, another perk of the Extended Puppy?  Calms the mind!





 
Plow Pose (Halasana)

According to Yoga Journal, plow pose reduces backaches and helps one get to sleep.  Hmm, my back turns into a knot explosion when I'm stressed out...  And I sleep like crap too!  Solution: Jess will spend more time in plow pose.  Besides, I think it feels wunderbar! This picture is of "Supported Plow Pose."  For regular old plow, let go of your back and lay your arms on the ground.  



 Headstand! (Sirsasana)

Standing on your head in perfect alignment calms the brain--it probably has to do with sending all that blood to your head, but maybe it has nothing to do with that at all!  One of my teachers, Wendy of Om Town Yoga, told us a story once about this investment manager who had all his best ideas for work while chilling upside down in headstand.  There is something definitely about being upside down that makes you just feel more grounded when you return right side up!  Do it at a wall, like the ladies above, with padding under your head if you need it.

And of course, how could I forget Savasana?

Corpse Pose, the pose of total relaxation! And dare I say it...the most challenging stress-reducing pose of this littl' bunch?  Relaxation is hard work!  I recommend that you close your eyes, unlike our model in this photo.




So relax away, yogis and yoginis!

Now here are my yoga minutes, for posterity, from March 19 through April 13.  Excuse me if I just type the minute numbers instead of tagging them all with dates.  I have a yoga class in a half hour at Om Town! 
Rest of March: 60, 40, 30, 90, 35, 90, 90, 33, 30, 35, 30, 35, 90!
April thus far: 30, 35, 35, 30, 90, 35, 90, 30, 30, 40, 35, 90, 30!

And... I'm outta here! Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment